Medical Laboratory Science (also called Clinical Laboratory Science) is one of the most under-recognized health professions – with excellent job prospects.
What is a Medical Laboratory Professional?
Medical Laboratory Scientists (MLS) and Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT) — also known as Clinical Laboratory Scientists (CLS) — perform laboratory tests on patient samples to provide information needed to diagnose or monitor treatment. Examples of common laboratory tests include tests to detect anemia, diagnose diabetes and strep throat, and provide a transfusion to an accident victim.
Professional duties include:
- Operating computerized instruments
- Identifying abnormal cells
- Assuring safe transfusion of blood products
- Culturing and identifying bacteria and viruses
- Correlating test results with patient’s condition
- Selecting and evaluating lab equipment
- Selecting, orienting and evaluating employees
- Monitoring the quality of testing